Follow by Email

Friday, November 29, 2013

Rule number two, re-read rule number one

Tuesday, will mark the last appointments for me for 2013. I approach one appointment with anxiety because I have not had any contact with this particular doctor since July. He was the poison doctor and for some reason I wanted our relationship, patient doctor to be over. What I refused to recognize was this, He was the one that precribed the port and hence I will need him to tell me when it should be removed. 

Rule number one for cancer patients, appointments with these doctors is life long. Rule number two, re-read rule number one. We cycle back and forth and the only conclusion is that these doctors are here for life. 

When I spoke to the 91 year old and realized that her 22 year term is still with the doctor's office that did her surgery 22 years ago, I had a clue. She sees her doctors in New York and lives in Birmingham Alabama. Now mind you it was not required to maintain the original relationship because her doctor actual retired. For her it is more because she spends summers in New York and it is convenient. 
I am not sure how I could justify traveling back to Cincinnati when my family is not here and I have moved away. Much less living another thirty years.We will see.

Life since ending radiation has been a hoot. Saturday, Novenber 23, 2013. I sang the invocation for the National Cancer Society Winter Ball. The very next morning I preach at what is now my home church. It was a very high spirited weekend. The congregation was so gracious and accepted me literally with open arms. I passed out a few sheets to be critiqued and it was awesome. 

I have to admit that what God has in store hands down beats sitting and doing nothing. The options are narrowing as I move forward. I really feel that my focus in ministry daily is met with more clarity as my struggles are overcome. 

Living each day as a mission is like opening the ultimate gift that keeps on giving. 

Matthew 5:13-16 “You are salt for the earth. But if salt loses its taste, how will it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trampled on by people. “You are light for the world. A city cannot be hidden when it is located on a hill. No one lights a lamp and puts it under a basket. Instead, everyone who lights a lamp puts it on a lamp stand. Then its light shines on everyone in the house. In the same way let your light shine in front of people. Then they will see the good that you do and praise your Father in heaven. 

2 comments:

  1. Not anonymous, just Mary Crawford. I do have a Google account but my email is one I rarely use. Great post. Survival/life after breast cancer gets better as time goes along. I am 18 years out. Got dismissed by my oncologist after about 6 or 7 years. Felt weird, but I have good docs who check me very carefully. Of course I did not go the course as long as you have; had I done that I might still be being checked. My oncologist goes to the same church that I do and we are now friends--I butted heads with him with my questions more than once. I would go back to him again. And he now admires my hard head and stubbornness and questioning demeanor as the need to understand exactly why everything has to be done this way. And he was relatively new to the game and hadn't run into many women like me down here; now he has met more than a few. Hugs to you. Know you are glad you are done with the previous part of your journey and can now do what you do best: your ministry! Happy Thanksgiving a day late.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I`m so glad you are doing so well. I cann`t wait to see you in Feb. Have a great day until we meet again Di

    ReplyDelete